About the Organization
La Raza Centro Legal, San Francisco is a non-profit community legal aid office that provides legal representation and counsel to low-income community members and immigrants in San Francisco, San Mateo County, and the Bay Area region. We assist those in need with free legal services in Immigration law, Elder and Disability law including general civil rights matters, and Workers’ Rights.
La Raza Centro Legal SF was founded in 1973, and since that time has partnered with the community so that justice may prevail. Each year, La Raza Centro Legal SF serves over 4,000 individuals and is one of the leading civil rights legal aid organizations in the Bay Area. We pride ourselves on our collaborative, professional and inclusive culture. We provide high quality legal services to the community we serve, and our staff is offered opportunities for professional development. Our office culture supports work-life balance, and our attorneys and legal support staff are proud to be members of SEIU Local 1021.
The Staff Attorney – Affirmative Immigration Law Department will represent clients with immigration cases, focusing on affirmative filings. The attorney will manage an individual caseload and will also contribute to community outreach events, clinics and presentations, grant reporting, fundraising efforts, assist with supervising volunteers/interns/law clerks, and pro bono attorney recruitment, mentorship, training and supervision, and other tasks.
Clinical and Case Work Responsibilities:
- Prepare affirmative filings for applicants. Manage a caseload of approximately 100 cases per fiscal year. Conduct approximately 150 consults per year.
- Attend immigration clinics and conduct intake screenings.
- Represent some clients at USCIS and, on occasion, at asylum office interviews.
- Write Request for Evidence responses; write detailed cover letters for complex affirmative filings including persuasive legal arguments and/or legal briefs.
- Coordinate, host clinics with, and provide side-by-side training on cases to pro bono attorneys.
- Ensure that legal work is consistent with agency mission.
- Community Education Responsibilities:
- Conduct know-your-rights presentations and information sessions.
- Develop informational materials on immigration law.
- Represent La Raza Centro Legal at various coalition meetings.
Responsibilities – Immigration Program:
- Attend team meetings.
- Assist with funding reporting requirements.
- Assist with case management systems.
- Assist in the overflow work of the program.
Responsibilities – Agency Wide:
- Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings.
- Assist with fundraising and grant writing for the agency.
- Represent the agency to the community at meetings, public events, media outreach, and other forums.
- Fluent, bilingual and biliterate in Spanish and English; able to take a declaration in Spanish.
- J.D. and CA state bar license preferred; licensed in good standing in any state bar also considered.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Team player; willing to learn new aspects of immigration law, strong interest in receiving training, mentorship and to working in a collaborative setting; positive attitude.
- Attention to detail, professional, dependable, able to maintain calendar and meet deadlines.
- Interest in immigration law and passionate about issues affecting immigrants.
- Sensitivity to working with children and survivors of trauma.
Salary & Benefits:
- Competitive Salary: Pay range DOE $72,500-$75,000 plus benefits & premiums
- Group health and medical and dental insurance coverage for employee and eligible dependents.
- 15 paid Union holidays per year.
- Term Life insurance and Long-Term Disability coverage.
- Retirement plan matching employer contributions.
This is a full-time, exempt position with benefits. This is not a remote position; we currently work in our San Francisco office one day per week. As the pandemic improves and pursuant to Department of Public Health guidelines, we will eventually, at a date to be determined, add additional in-person, in-office workdays. We offer a competitive salary with a benefits package that includes several weeks paid vacation a year, 12 days of sick leave a year and 100% paid employee medical & dental insurance as well as long term disability and AD&D, and life insurance. This position is a non-management position, and thus is a Union SEIU Local 1021 position. In addition, there are 15 paid holidays annually, a generous Simple IRA-retirement plan.
La Raza Centro Legal San Francisco Equity and Inclusion Statement
La Raza Centro Legal San Francisco actively promotes and recognizes principles of fairness, equity, and social justice in relation to, and across, intersections of race, age, color, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, disability, ancestry, and all other identities represented among our diverse employees.
By appreciating the importance of inclusion, we acknowledge that the collective and individual talents, skills, and perspectives of our staff foster a culture of belonging, safety, collaborative practice, innovation, and mutual respect. La Raza Centro Legal San Francisco is committed to the transformation of attitudes and systems that deprive any person or group of these principals.
La Raza Centro Legal is an equal opportunity employer. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.