About the Organization
La Raza Centro Legal, San Francisco (LRCL) has provided free legal services to the city of San Francisco and surrounding counties for over 47 years. We are a non-profit legal aid agency and a leader in the provision of excellent legal services by licensed attorneys, to the Spanish-speaking and wider immigrant and low-income community in the counties of San Francisco, San Mateo, and the Bay Area. Bilingual Spanish-speaking attorneys and paralegals provide all services, in a culturally competent manner and utilizing a trauma – informed approach. At La Raza Centro Legal, lawyers partner with the community, so that justice may prevail.
The Immigration Program Staff Attorney at La Raza Centro Legal will represent clients in removal proceedings. The attorney will be required to manage an individual caseload, respond to the San Francisco Rapid Response immigration hotline, contribute to community outreach events and presentations, complete grant reporting, assist with fundraising efforts, recruit, and supervise pro bono attorneys, and other tasks.
Clinical and Case Work Responsibilities:
- Prepare applications for asylum, SIJS, U Visa, T Visa, and other avenues of relief from deportation.
- Prepare and submit filings for applicants in San Francisco Immigration Court in accordance with the EOIR Practice Manual.
- Attend immigration clinics and conduct intake screenings.
- Represent clients at asylum office interviews.
- Write motions, briefs, and BIA appellate briefs, as needed.
- Ensure that legal work is consistent with agency mission.
Community Education Responsibilities:
- Conduct know-your-rights presentations and information sessions.
- Develop informational materials on immigration law.
- Represent La Raza Centro Legal at various coalition meetings.
Responsibilities – Immigration Program:
- Attend team meetings.
- Assist with funding reporting requirements.
- Assist with case management systems.
- Assist in the overflow work of the program.
Responsibilities – Agency Wide:
- Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings.
- Assist with fundraising and grant writing for the agency.
- Represent the agency to the community at meetings, public events, media outreach, and other forums.
- Fluent, bilingual and biliterate, in Spanish and English.
- J.D. and licensed in good standing in any of the 50 states or Puerto Rico; CA bar admission is a plus.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Interest in immigration law and passionate about issues affecting immigrants.
- Sensitivity to working with children and survivors of trauma.
- Team Player, positive demeanor, ability to prioritize key tasks and timely meet task deadlines.
- Willingness to mentor and supervise law clerks, volunteers, and interns.
- Salary beginning at $65,000/year – $67,500 (depending on experience), plus benefits premiums.
- Group health and medical insurance coverage for employee and eligible dependents.
- Dental insurance coverage.
- Term Life insurance and Long-Term Disability coverage.
- Retirement plan matching.
- Generous paid annual leave, paid health leave, 16 paid holidays, plus vacation and comp time, and flexible schedule.
- This position is a Union position represented by SEIU Local 1021
- Location during pandemic: 1 + day in office in SF and in court; remaining days remote.
- Location after pandemic or when safe to do so: 4 days per week in SF office or SM office or in court; one day per week remote.
- Office location is sited in San Francisco however requires regular travel to serve clients in San Mateo County. When safe to do so given the pandemic, there is an option to work from San Mateo County office several days per week. The expectation is that all employees will return to work in LRCL’s office when it is safe to do so.
Level of Language Proficiency:
- Required: complete fluency in English and Spanish.
La Raza Centro Legal is an equal opportunity employer. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000 – 67,500 DOE