Job Posting: Immigration Program Staff Attorney
The Immigration Program Staff Attorney at La Raza Centro Legal will represent clients in removal proceedings. The attorney will be required to manage an individual caseload, respond to the San Francisco Rapid Response immigration hotline, contribute to community outreach events and presentations, complete grant reporting, assist with fundraising efforts, recruit and supervise pro bono attorneys, and other tasks.
Clinical and Case Work Responsibilities:
- Prepare applications for asylum, SIJS, U Visa, T Visa, and other avenues of relief from deportation;
- Prepare and submit filings for applicants in San Francisco Immigration Court in accordance with the EOIR Practice Manual;
- Attend immigration clinics and conduct intake screenings;
- Represent clients at asylum office interviews;
- Write motions, briefs, and BIA appellate briefs, as needed;
- Ensure that legal work is consistent with agency mission.
Community Education Responsibilities:
- Conduct know-your-rights presentations and information sessions;
- Develop informational materials on immigration law;
- Represent La Raza Centro Legal at various coalition meetings.
Responsibilities – Immigration Program:
- Attend team meetings;
- Assist with funding reporting requirements;
- Assist with case management systems;
- Assist in the overflow work of the program.
Responsibilities – Agency Wide:
- Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings;
- Assist with fundraising and grant writing for the agency;
- Represent the agency to the community at meetings, public events, media outreach, and other forums.
- Fluent, bilingual and biliterate, in Spanish and English;
- J.D. and licensed in good standing in any of the 50 states or Puerto Rico;
- Strong research and writing skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Interest in immigration law and passionate about issues affecting immigrants;
- Sensitivity to working with children and survivors of trauma;
- Team Player, positive demeanor, ability to prioritize key tasks and timely complete them;
- Willingness to mentor and supervise law clerks, volunteers, and interns.
- Salary beginning at $55,000/year (possible increase depending on experience), plus benefits premiums;
- Group health and medical insurance coverage for employee and eligible dependents;
- Dental insurance coverage;
- Term Life insurance and Long-Term Disability coverage;
- 401K retirement plan matching;
- Generous paid annual leave, paid health leave, 16 paid holidays, and flexible schedule.
Level of Language Proficiency:
- Required: complete fluency in English and Spanish.
La Raza Centro Legal is an equal opportunity employer. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.