ABOUT LA RAZA CENTRO LEGAL
La Raza Centro Legal, San Francisco, is a respected non-profit, community-based legal aid in the heart of San Francisco’s Mission District. Founded in 1973 by Chicanx law students, we proudly build upon the legacy of our founders by continuing to serve the Spanish-speaking, immigrant, and low-income community in the counties of San Francisco, San Mateo, and wider Bay Area. Each year, La Raza Centro Legal serves over 4,000 individuals and is one of the leading legal aid organizations providing excellent, no-cost legal services by licensed attorneys, to the immigrant and low-income communities across the Bay.
The COVID crisis and the uprising for racial justice have brought national attention to the urgent work required to build a more just and vibrant society for all, regardless of status. Our clients face impossible choices each day. They are undocumented individuals, mixed-status families, and refugees, vulnerable to human and workers’ rights violations. They are seniors and individuals with differing abilities who historically have lacked access to free legal services relating to consumer debt, Social Security Appeals, estate planning, and other legal matters. They are essential workers who suffer unlawful exploitation, retaliation, and discrimination in their workplaces. Many lack the means or ability to advocate for themselves or fight systemic injustices.
Our dedicated, heroic staff advocates for our clients’ civil and human rights across four primary program areas: Immigration Law, Asylum and Deportation Defense, Elder and Disability Law, and Workers’ Rights.
La Raza Centro Legal serves the Latinx and wider immigrant community by providing high-quality, free, direct legal services by licensed attorneys, ensuring that poverty will not be an impediment to justice.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for LRCL’s staff, programs, and execution of its mission. With an operating budget of ~$1.5M and approximately 15 staff, La Raza Centro Legal is experiencing steady growth, allowing for the development of this and other leadership positions that will help shape the next stage in LRCL’s essential, community-based work.
This position requires that the individual be on-site at our office, located in San Francisco’s Mission District.
Organizational Leadership & Management
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain LRCL’s highly regarded team of attorneys and staff.
- Manage office, personnel, HR and related processes to ensure smooth operational processes and achieve organizational goals.
- Represent LRCL in labor relations, including regular communications with union leadership, conflict resolution with union members, and negotiation of benefits, wages, and other union members’ rights.
Program Oversight & Development
- Provide effective management and team-building support to Program Directors
- Provide regular program reporting, metrics, and communication as required or requested by government funders or other funders
- Support LRCL’s provision of legal services. Work with staff and Board to assess current legal services and programs and provide thought leadership to continuously improve the delivery of legal services and programs.
Strategic Development, Implementation & Fiscal Responsibility
- Work with the Board and teams to devise and implement an annual development plan and effective strategies to ensure substantial growth in organizational fundraising and increased financial sustainability.
- Manage implementation and evolution of LRCL strategic plan and annual business plans, including annual organizational budget.
- Supervise and ensure fiscal soundness and stability, including overseeing fiscal management and compliance, and financial accountability and reporting.
Board and External Relations
- Serve as primary liaison between Board of Directors and staff, including regularly reporting on organization’s operations, fiscal health, and strategic issues.
- Advocates for the organization as a spokesperson, articulating mission, vision, programs, services, and impact on the community.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with partner organizations and key constituent groups, as well as with government and political leaders through both direct contact and collaborative partnerships.
The ED will be thoroughly committed to La Raza Centro Legal’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience. Even if you may not meet all of the desired qualifications listed, we still encourage you to apply. Your life and professional experiences may be relevant beyond what a list of qualifications will suggest.
Desired Experience & Skills:
- Advanced degree (Law or Public Policy preferred) with at least 5 years’ of management experience, ideally of attorneys/legal staff; track record of effectively leading and scaling organization performance; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Experience in organizational management and strong interpersonal skills with the ability to recruit and coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a diverse range of stakeholders and cultures
- Clear written and verbal communication skills; an open, persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Bilingual (Spanish/English preferred)
- Self-directed, action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and collaborative approach to organization growth and planning
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of people
- Passionate, idealistic, with demonstrated integrity and commitment to the organization and our mission, and a positive attitude
Compensation: The compensation range for this role is $110,000 – $125,000. The salary for the role will be commensurate with experience and compensation will include a generous benefits package with health insurance, retirement plan, paid time off, and holidays.
Application requires a resume, cover letter, and references (3, including at least 1 role where applicant was the direct manager). Please email your application to the Executive Search Committee at EDSearch@lrcl.org.
Preliminary Application Deadline: March 1, 2022
La Raza Centro Legal is an equal opportunity employer. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.